BNP Paribas Italy News & Press Release
November 11, 2016 -

BNP Paribas Real Estate scoops prestigious Green Apple award

Forward to a friendForward to a friend PrintPrint

BNP Paribas Real Estate has won a prestigious Green Apple Award for Environmental Best Practice after boosting recycling rates across its managed central London portfolio, including Google’s new King’s Cross HQ.

In partnership with waste management company Bywaters, BNP Paribas Real Estate implemented a new recycling and resource management strategy across 35 major London properties, including landmark buildings such as Tower 42, EC2, and 6 Pancras Square, which was developed by BNP Paribas Real Estate and occupied by Google earlier this year.

The new strategy has enabled BNP Paribas Real Estate’s team to increase the recycling rate from its managed London portfolio from 48% to 67% in 2016, and to reduce the amount of material sent to landfill to zero. The remaining 33% of the 520 tonnes of waste generated each month is turned into electricity at a waste to energy plant.

At 6 Pancras Square, which is managed by BNP Paribas Real Estate on behalf of AXA IM – Real Assets, 85% of the waste material that is produced by Google is recycled. At another property, BNP Paribas Real Estate saw recycling rates rise to 92% in just two months of concerted, targeted effort. The initiative includes Bywaters’ latest waste management technology, Weightron, which allows tenants to understand, manage and track their own waste. So far, Bywaters has diverted 4,382 tonnes of waste from landfill this year.

The Green Apple Awards are one of longest-established environmental awards in the UK, recognising environmental best practice around the world.

Award winners find out if they have won a gold, silver or bronze award at a presentation ceremony on Friday at The Houses of Parliament, Westminster.

BNP Paribas Real Estate is the leading property manager in Europe, with over 36.3 million square metres under management across the continent.

Green Apple Award Press Release